Is laser teeth whitening safe?

Dr. Keith Hasday
Dentistry

Laser tooth whitening has been shown to be safe, but is it effective.
In the short term it is. Over longer periods of time, the stains can return to your teeth. Often laser whitening should be followed by bursts of use of custom trays with whitening gels to obtain a more long term result. You need a thorough oral evaluation to see if you are a candidate for whitening first.

Dr. Keith Hasday
Dr. Keith Hasday
Dr. Mark Venincasa
Dentistry - Cosmetic

In brief: It can be...

If done properly by a certified and reputable dentist, laser teeth whitening is safe.

In brief: It can be...

Dr. Mark Venincasa
Dr. Mark Venincasa
Dr. Scott Williams
Dentistry

In brief: Usually

When done correctly it is safe.
I have heard some patients experience extreme sensitivity to cold afterward, but have not seen it myself. I choose a custom tray with gel for whitening in my office to avoid this.

In brief: Usually

When done correctly it is safe.
Dr. Scott Williams
Dr. Scott Williams
Dr. Alex Shvartsman
Dentistry - Cosmetic

In brief: It depends

Most laser tooth whitenings do not really use a laser, but just a light that filters out all but the blue wave length.
Many dentists like to hype it up by calling it laser whitening. In any case 1 hour in office whitening is the least effective way to whiten teeth. Inadition at least 6 per-reviewed studies have proven that the light , laser or not, is ineffective.

In brief: It depends

Dr. Alex Shvartsman
Dr. Alex Shvartsman
Dr. James Wright
Dentistry

In brief: In moderation...

With any whitening, laser (typically led light) a small layer of enamel is removed with bleaching.
Overdoing whitening can produce permanent discoloration. Please see only a dentist for whitening and refrain from the current trend of whitening in a spa, mall or beauty salon. Whitening teeth is best managed by an experienced dentist with your dental & gum health as the main focus of their attention!

In brief: In moderation...

Dr. James Wright
Dr. James Wright

Yes.

Yes.
Dr. Anthony Silvestro
Dr. Anthony Silvestro
Dr. Jane Chung
Surgery - Plastics

It si very safe. But you may get some hypersensitivity for a while but it gets better.

Dr. Jane Chung
Dr. Jane Chung
Dr. Jonathan Jassey