I had fistula repair surgery a week ago. Wound was left open to heal, no stitches. Are sitz baths with epsom salt advantageous, promote healing?

In brief: Won't help or hurt

Since you are a male who had fistula surgery, I am assuming it was an anal fistula.
Using epsom salts in addition to soaking in a warm bathtub has not been proven to help or harm healing. Just getting into the tub for 10 minutes or more at least 3x/day helps relieve pain, keep the area clean, and promote healing. If you think it helps, go ahead and use it! good luck with your healing!

In brief: Won't help or hurt

Dr. Crystal Twynham
Dr. Crystal Twynham
Dr. Johnny Green
Surgery - Colorectal

In brief: OK but not needed

Sitz baths help keep the wound clean and relieve some of the rectal spasm. Epsom salts does not aide either of those functions, but does not do any harm.

In brief: OK but not needed

Dr. Johnny Green
Dr. Johnny Green
Dr. Mark Pack
Board Certified, Surgery