My ESR level is 2. I am concerned about congestive heart failure. I have had an EKG and chest x ray, both okay. Is heart failure still a possibility?

Dr. Steven Neish
Pediatrics - Cardiology

In brief: ESR is normal

Although people talk about congestive heart failure being associated with a low ESR (sed rate), there typically is not really a sed rate that is abnormally low.
A normal ESR for a young woman, in most labs, is 0-20 mm/hr. The finding of an ESR of 2 should not warrant a heart failure evaluation. If you have no symptoms of heart failure, don't worry.

In brief: ESR is normal

Dr. Steven Neish
Dr. Steven Neish
Dr. Martin Raff
Internal Medicine - Infectious Disease

In brief: Anxiety disorder

This question does not provide sufficient info to exclude heart disease, nor does it provide even a remote suggestion that a 27 year old woman would develop CHF without some severe underlying clinical problem. You are overthinking this and need to find out why the level of concern.
After discussing with you doctor you might consider seeing a clinical psychologist or psychiatrist. Good luck.

In brief: Anxiety disorder

Dr. Martin Raff
Dr. Martin Raff
Dr. Aaron Milstone
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Pulmonology