Can a kid with autism be really good in math and science. Or is that just grandparent impression?

Autism to me is a neurodevelopmental condition that manifests itself in markedly abnormal social interaction, communication ability and patterns of interest.
I think autism is not an "intellectual deficit" but more of a low level "perceptual" disability. Yes, they can be good in math and science!

Dr. Michael H. T. Sia
Dr. Michael H. T. Sia
Dr. Johanna Fricke
Pediatrics - Developmental & Behavioral
In brief: I agree with both
Till asked to understand algebraic concepts, they sure can.
"data collecting, " related to over-developed rote memory & " pattern recognition, " related to strengths in non-verbal abilities, can make math computations a snap. Math applications, i.e., comprehending a word problem that requires language, active working memory, & deciding when to add, subtract, multiply or divide is not so easy.

In brief: I agree with both
Dr. Johanna Fricke
Dr. Johanna Fricke
Dr. Mark Diamond
In brief: Yes They Can
Dr sia's answer is correct, but it depends upon the severity of the autism.
More severe cases are unable to display this talent.

In brief: Yes They Can
Dr. Mark Diamond
Dr. Mark Diamond
Dr. Shontae Buffington