Had a mirena (levonorgestrel) insert 8 months ago never had my period untill now for about a week I been having strong cramps spotting and bleeding is it normal?

Probably. The number one side effect of Mirena (levonorgestrel) is irregular and unpredictable bleeding. For some women it starts right after the device is placed in the uterus. For others, like you, it starts weeks, months, or years later. It is possible to have some other cause for the bleeding, so it would be wise to see your doctor for an exam and possibly an ultrasound to evaluate for other problems or causes.