I have been prescribed propranolol for anxiety and hypertension.Can this medication make my heart rate and pulse too low when I am not anxious? My pulse at rest is between 60-75bpm and bp138/88 est.

Dr. Douglas Bey

In brief: Can lower hr

Your doc will monitor your hr ; BP but not being anxious shouldn't b a problem.

In brief: Can lower hr

Dr. Douglas Bey
Dr. Douglas Bey

In brief: Maybe

Propranolol is a "beta blocker" and used for hypertension and in some cases anxiety.
One effect of this class is to slow heart rate. From the little info you supplied it looks like it is working fine. However, if you are concerned, talk it over with your physician and if necessary there may be alternatives available. Good luck.

In brief: Maybe

Dr. Richard Williams
Dr. Richard Williams
Dr. Steven Seres