How do I get my baby to sleep in a crib?

Dr. Michael Pappas

In brief: Routine

Most of us have a routine that prepares us for sleep.
You can do the same for your baby, by clearly letting him/her know that bedtime is near. Try to always perform the same routine before bedtime, e.g. Bath, rocking, singing, etc so your little one always is ready for bed. Eventually your baby will get the message. Even if they cry, gently reassure and leave the room.

In brief: Routine

Dr. Michael Pappas
Dr. Michael Pappas

In brief: Consistent routine

A baby can be taught to sleep in a crib from birth to about 15-18 months.
After 15-18 months, some babies can climb out of a crib. From the beginning, parents should keep a consistent, unexciting bedtime routine, so their baby gets sleepy instead of stimulated. After putting the baby down to sleep, parents should stay where the baby cannot see them, if their baby is a hard-to-fall-asleep baby.

In brief: Consistent routine