What kidney diseases do diabetics get?

See below. It is called diabetic nephropathy where protein is found in the urine and kidney function is gradually lost other less common problem related to diabetes and the kidney is called papillary necrosis , in which there is blood and tissue in the urine.
Renal insufficiency. Kidneys are among the first organs affected by uncontrolled diabetes, or high blood sugars. They can be minimally affected if blood sugar is well controlled or lead to complete shutdown. The best way to prevent complications of diabetes is to make sure the blood sugars are controlled. See your doctor regularly, at least every 3-4 months, take all prescribed medications, and follow diabetic diet.