I love oysters. What is the risk that I will catch vibrio vulnificus?

Pathology

In brief: Raw oysters

You are at risk if you eat raw or inadequately cooked oysters.
It can be a serious infection. The risk, with eating raw oysters, depends on the contamination of water in which oysters grew.

In brief: Raw oysters

Dr. Larry Lutwick
Internal Medicine - Infectious Disease

In brief: Always exists

It is important to realize that unlike salmonella or e.
Coli, the presence of vibrio parahaemolyticus in sea water does not represent sewage contamination of the water. V. Parahaemolyticus is normal flora in warm sea water. Global warming has now expanded the range of potential vibriosis northwards from. The gulf of mexico to waters as far north as alaska and canada.

In brief: Always exists

Dr. Larry Lutwick
Dr. Larry Lutwick
Dr. William Forsythe