What does a student with hemophilia need to do when going away to college?

Dr. Susumu Inoue
Pediatrics - Hematology & Oncology
In brief: Find the center
Find the nearest hemophilia treatment center in your college community.
Ask your current hematologist to help you find one. Call the center before you move to college. Have your medical record transferred to your new hemophilia center. Make an appointment to see the care providers at the new center before your bleeding occurs. Have them prescribe your factors.

In brief: Find the center
Dr. Susumu Inoue
Dr. Susumu Inoue
Pathology
In brief: Self-guidance
By college time, the boy with hemophilia usually knows more about his illness than do most physicians.
A good relationship -- distance or local -- with a hematologist is the mainstay, even while junior achieves greater independence and autonomy. I've seen these people do remarkably well. Good luck.

In brief: Self-guidance