Why would an endodontist give up on doing a root canal before he finished it?

Dr. Peter Kurzweil

In brief: Something gone wrong

He wouldn't unless something went wrong, or is more complicated than originally thought, if simply gives up, and doesn't explain, and doesn't make an appropriate referral, (s)he has not performed service correctly.
Go back to your general dentist, or find a good one if don't have. Important (opinion): for dental or general health problems, always c good generalist first (topic 4 blog 2 come).

In brief: Something gone wrong

Dr. Peter Kurzweil
Dr. Peter Kurzweil

In brief: Give up?

I can't imagine a specialist giving up if there is any chance of completing the therapy.
Possibly there is a blockage in the tooth canal she/he cannot negotiate. I think you should ask more questions about what comes next - possibly the doctor hasn't 'given up' but needs to use a different treatment choice to complete the care because something unexpected happened.

In brief: Give up?

Dr. Stephen Carstensen
Dr. Stephen Carstensen
Dr. Jeffrey Jarvis
Dentistry

In brief: Several reasons

Root canal therapy is often successful, but not always.
Not all teeth can be saved. An endodontist might give up on doing a root canal for several reasons....The tooth might be fractured, the decay may be too severe-down to the bone, the canals may be too calcified, the anatomy of the canals may be too complex....And others.

In brief: Several reasons

Dr. Jeffrey Jarvis
Dr. Jeffrey Jarvis
Dr. Jack Hinkle