I need some advice on abnormal pap smears--never had one before?

Pathology

In brief: Needs follow-up

It needs to be checked.
The viral assays are changing the protocols. The test is a screen for cervical cancer and pre-cancer and as such is very sensitive -- but please do get the follow-up your physician suggests.

In brief: Needs follow-up

It needs to be checked.
2 comments
Dr. Joseph Woods
Thanks a lot for adding to my amswer.
Dr. Joseph Woods
Thanks a lot for adding to my answer.
Dr. Joseph Woods
Pathology

In brief: More workup.

If a pap smear is abnormal, colposcopy is done, with 3% Acetic Acid painted on the cervix.
Abnormal lesions are seen as white patches. These are biopsied, and examined under a microscope for possible malignancy. If there is cancer in situ, a cone biopsy is done, which is therapeutic.

In brief: More workup.

Dr. Joseph Woods
Dr. Joseph Woods
Dr. Jane Van Dis