Blood in stool x2. Dad w/ ulcerative colitis, sister w/ crohn's. Should I have colonoscopy? If so, can I have while breastfeeding or wait until weans?

Dr. You Sung Sang
Internal Medicine - Gastroenterology

Given your strong family history of ibd, you should definitively have a colonoscopy.
Although a majority of the sedatives used during colonoscopy are felt to be safe during nursing, you can "pump and dump" to be on the safe side.

Dr. You Sung Sang
Dr. You Sung Sang
Dr. Jonah Essers
Pediatrics - Gastroenterology

In brief: Start with labs

I would start with blood and stools tests that are very good at detecting chronic inflammation.
Also they can rule out infection. If your lab work suggests chronic inflammation, i would proceed with a colonoscopy. You may have to "pump and dump" breast milk for a day depending on what drugs they sedate you with--discuss that with the doctor doing the procedure. If labs are normal, perhaps wait.

In brief: Start with labs

Dr. Jonah Essers
Dr. Jonah Essers
Dr. Jane Van Dis