I was recently diagnosed with severe sleep apnea. Should I do durable power of attorney ?

Dr. Carlo Hatem
Internal Medicine - Pulmonary Critical Care

In brief: Not because of it

It is good to plan ahead in case of sudden illness and incapacitation.
Sleep apnea is not an imminently fatal condition, but it does increase the risk of stroke and heart disease.

In brief: Not because of it

Dr. Carlo Hatem
Dr. Carlo Hatem
Dr. James Donley
A durable power of attorney is good for everyone to have. You do not need if just because of severe sleep apnea. If you are managing your problem with a CPAP or an oral appliance, you reduce your chance of the serious side effects.
Dr. Stephen Siegel
Internal Medicine - Pulmonology

In brief: Sleep ap treatable

Severe sleep apnea is treatable through proper use and calibration of breathing pressurized air through a nasal mask and a ventilator type device for home use.
Untreated sleep apnea leads to deprivation of sleep, especially deep sleep and leads to numerous medical conditions such as high blood pressure. Proper treatment should lead to full functioning.

In brief: Sleep ap treatable

Dr. Stephen Siegel
Dr. Stephen Siegel
Dr. Eric Weisman