How do you get rid of shin splints? Change shoes?

Dr. Robert Leland
Orthopedic Surgery - Foot & Ankle

In brief: One option

"shin splints" can mean a variety of problems such as insertional tendonitis, periostitis, stress reaction.
Shoe changes, particularly if pain started after a change in shoes can be helpful. Most quality running stores can evaluate shoe types. Pt, orthotics, rest, nsaids, accupuncture (and occasionally surgery) all all treatment options.

In brief: One option

Dr. Robert Leland
Dr. Robert Leland
Dr. Vasu Brown
Wound care

In brief: PEMF

Pulse electromagnetic therapy works very well for periostitis.
I had a personal injury due to trying to lift a microwave and scraped this on my shin. The induration and hematoma immediately got better with pemf but the induration lasted total of 10 days. In addition you might need cat's claw and essential fatty acids to relieve pain. Handheld pemf device is available from http://almagia.Com.

In brief: PEMF

Dr. Vasu Brown
Dr. Vasu Brown

In brief: Ice the area

Run on flat surface, ice the area, anti inflammatory meds.
.Make sure your shoes are not worn to one side in the heels.

In brief: Ice the area

Dr. Steven Frydman
Dr. Steven Frydman

In brief: Maybe

Shin splints are do to mechanical activitiy of the muscles pulling on the leg.
If your shoes are old then certainly try changing them. You may need orthotics to change the position of your and leg to prevent the pull.

In brief: Maybe

Dr. Arnold Beresh
Dr. Arnold Beresh
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine