Can I take my newborn out in public?

It depends. Well, yes and no. In the first few months, it's best to avoid large groups of people so as to minimize your baby's exposure to infection. Your newborn's immune system is still immature and he is more susceptible to infection than an older child is. Even a cold in a toddler can cause serious breathing problems in an infant. It's still okay though (and good!) to take your baby for walks outside.
Yes. Sure! but there's one caveat: you don't really want a lot of people touching or holding your baby--that's how infections spread. Being outside on a nice day, going for a walk in the neighborhood, maybe strolling through the mall, all of that would be fine, and it's a good idea to get out at least once in a while. But when people want to get in your baby's face or hold her or touch her, say "no.".