How long do I have to wear a retainer after getting my braces off?

In brief: Frequently
Depending on the correction to the teeth, many orthodontists fit you with a retainer you must wear in order for the teeth not to go back to their original position.
Sometimes, mostly in the lower teeth, the retainer might be placed permanently.

In brief: Frequently
Dr. Josephine Ruiz-Healy
Dr. Josephine Ruiz-Healy
Dr. Gary Chapman
Dentistry - Orthodontics
In brief: As long as you care
Retention is a lifetime process.
Some patients work harder at it than others. I have my patients wear their retainers to bed every night the first year after removal, then begin weaning after that. Ideal wear is every other night indefinitely for most patients. Teeth will move with time passing left alone. Think of your retainer as maintenance.

In brief: As long as you care
Retention is a lifetime process.
Dr. Gary Chapman
Dr. Gary Chapman
Dr. Shawn Murray
Dentistry
In brief: Retainers
To always keep your teeth looking good, you will need to wear retainers for your lifetime.
Your orthodontist will give you a protocol to follow.

In brief: Retainers
Dr. Shawn Murray
Dr. Shawn Murray
Dr. Warren Strudwick