If I start wearing my retainer again, will it straighten back out my teeth?

Dr. Robert Stoner
Dentistry - Orthodontics

In brief: Depends

If it is a very small movement then perhaps, otherwise no.

In brief: Depends

Dr. Robert Stoner
Dr. Robert Stoner
Dr. Brent Mcfarland
Dentistry - Orthodontics

In brief: Possible

May want to consult your orthodontist to see magnitude of tooth movement.

In brief: Possible

Dr. Brent Mcfarland
Dr. Brent Mcfarland
Dr. Arnold Malerman
Dentistry - Orthodontics

In brief: Oh, my

All that time, effort, and money lost.
If retainers not worn teeth will shift. If they shift, putting retainer back in may recover some of what has been lost, but result has been compromised and is now less stable. Please get back to your orthodontist to check the way the retainer fits...You don't want it to do more harm than good.

In brief: Oh, my

All that time, effort, and money lost.
Dr. Arnold Malerman
Dr. Arnold Malerman
Dr. Jerry Hu
Dentistry - Cosmetic

In brief: Make sure it fits

Make sure your retainer fits ideally.
If you haven't been wearing it, you're teeth would have definitely shifted. You may want to check with your dentist on the fit, and if you need new ones, they can always be made to your current position. Sometimes, you may need more ortho treatment as well.

In brief: Make sure it fits

Make sure your retainer fits ideally.
Dr. Jerry Hu
Dr. Jerry Hu
Dr. Hilary Baskin
Dentistry - Orthodontics

In brief: Possibly

If they have not moved too much and you can still get the retainer on, then yes, it will work much like invisalign and will move your teeth.
But the move they have shifted the harder it will be to wear the retainer initially.

In brief: Possibly

Dr. Hilary Baskin
Dr. Hilary Baskin
Dr. Gary Chapman
Dentistry - Orthodontics

In brief: Maybe

Depends on how much your teeth have moved.
If just a little, then your retainer will correct minor issues fairly well, but only if worn full time for several weeks. If more then you may need a retreat and new retainers.

In brief: Maybe

Dr. Gary Chapman
Dr. Gary Chapman

In brief: Maybe

How long has it been? Did you finish your braces as a teen and now you're 33? Then it won't work.
Retainers are passive devices aimed at keeping your teeth where they were put, not active devices. But you might get lucky! if it almost fits, give it a try.

In brief: Maybe

Dr. Stephen Carstensen
Dr. Stephen Carstensen
Dr. Robin Larabee

In brief: Yes, but

If it has been too long, your retainer may no longer fit.
Don't force your teeth into a retainer that doesnt fit-- see your orthodontist for advice.

In brief: Yes, but

Dr. Robin Larabee
Dr. Robin Larabee
Dr. Vicken Poochikian