My dr gave me z-pack but i'm not sure why. He didn't say i had strep just flu symptoms. I left him a message but received no reply. I have 3 of 6 pills to take. If i don't hear from my dr do I finish the last 3 pills?

Dr. Maureen Mays
Clinical Lipidology

In brief: Finish

I cannot say why your doctor gave you the antibiotics, but it is important that if you start a course of antibiotics, you should finish them as prescribed.
Taking only part of the course can lead to that medicine not working the next time you may need it. The bacteria can develop resistance, which is becoming a real health concern.

In brief: Finish

Dr. Maureen Mays
Dr. Maureen Mays
Dr. Warren Wolfe

To not take the prescribed amount of tablets you run the risk of killing the weaker germs and allowing the stronger germs the opportunity to reproduce.
I assume that your physician had a good reason to give you the prescription but I am dismayed that he/she was not fully open with you about your illness.

Dr. Warren Wolfe
Dr. Warren Wolfe
Dr. Pamela Pappas

In brief: Z pack

Your original question concerned diarrhea after being given both z-pack and tamiflu (oseltamivir) "for the flu.
" you wanted something to take for diarrhea. Some of us suggested simplifying your regimen rather than adding to it -- because we know that z-pack can cause diarrhea but not help with the flu virus. If strep is a concern, z-pack could be indicated -- but you did not tell us that initially. Be well.

In brief: Z pack

Dr. Pamela Pappas
Dr. Pamela Pappas
Dr. Steven Charlap
Holistic Medicine

Although it's not clear why it was prescribed, you can't second guess, and i definitely can't second guess your doctor, without more info.
It's generally safe to take last three pills if first three caused no harm.

Dr. Steven Charlap
Dr. Steven Charlap
Dr. Joy Poskozim
Dentistry

In brief: ABSOLUTELY!

Even if you didn't test positive for strep yet, this does not mean you don't have the precursor, or the potential to having a sinus infection.
Please make sure you take all of the pills to make sure the infection goes away and stays away.

In brief: ABSOLUTELY!

Dr. Joy Poskozim
Dr. Joy Poskozim
Dr. William Forsythe