When should I take pain relievers and when should I take a muscle relaxant for back pains?

Dr. Michael Granberry
Orthopedic Surgery
In brief: Non Steroidals
Taking non steroidal medications like Ibuprofen or Naproxen as indicated on the package, or by the prescription is a basis for pain control.
Add a muscle relaxer when the muscles cramp, or are tight. Stretching exercises work the fastest to get yourself out of back pain.

In brief: Non Steroidals
Dr. Michael Granberry
Dr. Michael Granberry
Dr. Michael Bolesta
Orthopedic Surgery
In brief: Depends
Muscle relaxants and some pain medications (narcotics) can make a person drowsy or decrease reaction time.
If you need to be alert (to drive or operate a machine), those medications should be avoided. Otherwise see which is more effective for you.

In brief: Depends
Dr. Michael Bolesta
Dr. Michael Bolesta