Is pregnancy gingivitis different from regular gingivitis?

In brief: See below
Pregnancy gingivitis is believed to be secondary to hormonal changes during pregnancy.
Regular is not.

In brief: See below
Regular is not.
Dr. Anthony LaBarbera
Dr. Anthony LaBarbera
Dr. James Beck
Dentistry
Pregnancy gingivitis is caused by the multitude of hormonal changes that occur during pregnancy.
You must maintain impeccable oral hygiene during pregnancy and afterwards. I have a lot of patients use multiple pregnancies as an excuse for tooth loss and dentures. I think this tooth decay is most likely due to less emphasis on oral hygiene due to the stress of pregnancy and child rearing.

Dr. James Beck
Dr. James Beck
Dr. John Francis
Dentistry - Periodontics
Can be similar symptoms between the two, but with pregnancy related gum problems it can be traced to the changes in hormone levels.
And some will develop quite large "pregnancy tumors" or one area of a really swollen gum. See the dentist and keep up good oral care habits.

Dr. John Francis
Dr. John Francis
Dr. Adam Levy