I have hives caused by antibiotics. Benadryll not tolerated during the day. I was told by walk in to take tagament and claritin (loratadine). Why the tagament?

Dr. You Sung Sang
Internal Medicine - Gastroenterology

In brief: Histamine blocker

Tagamet (cimetidine) is an h2-blocker. Although the histamine pathway this is mainly involved with is for acid blockade, to a certain extent it can also help with allergic reactions.

In brief: Histamine blocker

Dr. You Sung Sang
Dr. You Sung Sang
Dr. John Chiu
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology

In brief: H2 blockade

Some believe that tagamet, (cimetidine) a "blocker" of another histamine receptor (histamine 2) may enhance the effect of histamine 1 "blocker" but there is no strong evidence to support it.
On the other hand, i prefer antihistamine other than Loratadine for hives. Consider taking the antihistamine up to 4 x daily if needed.

In brief: H2 blockade

Dr. John Chiu
Dr. John Chiu