My period was a day late and only has been spotting. I have pcos and am on birth control. Both pregnancy test have been negative, what could be wrong?

Not likely. If you are taking your pills and had a negative pregnancy test, you are not pregnant. Your period can be very light on birth control pills.
Home pregnancy tests are very accurate. They are the same tests used in a doctors office. They can detect a pregnancy 7-10 days after conception. The best time to take one is when you miss your period.  if you doubt the result you can repeat it in 1-2 days. If you were pregnant the hormone level would rise enough for detection.