How can I tell if I'm suffering from ptsd?

Post Traumatic . Stress disorder (ptsd) is preceded by life threatening or horrific events. It involves symptoms of reliving (memories, nightmares, flashbacks); avoidance (of people, places, things, memories that cause emotional pain) and arousal (insomnia, ^ startle response, fight or flight). The best way to know if you have ptsd is to be evaluated by a psychiatrist or psychologist who is experienced with ptsd.
Symptoms of PTSD. Ptsd can happen after a person experiences a life threatening situation or have observed loss of life in others. A person keeps reliving the event in her mind, is easily startled, is depressed, has trouble sleeping, nightmares, and other symptoms. You should see your doctor soon for treatment. For more info, see http://www.Nimh.Nih.Gov/health/topics/post-traumatic-stress-disorder-ptsd.
Symptom inquiry. The doctor should inquire if the patient has been in a situation where the patient believes loss of life or catastrophic injury was imminent, and with no means of escape. Symptoms from these experiences include, hypervigilance, sleep loss, nightmares, reliving the trauma, social withdrawal, anhedonia, temper outbursts, emotional withdrawal, feelings of unfinished business, and adrenalin seeking.