I had a total thyroidectomy 2 years ago due to thyroid cancer. Do I only need T4 from synthroid (thyroxine)? How do I get t3?

Don, t need T 3. If take T4. Naturally occuring thyroid horme has both more of t 4 and less of t3 (liothyronine) (which is more poweful or potent) both have same fuction. Only on is needed when synthetic thyroid horme is T4 easy to synthesize, stable, easy to dispense exact dose, goes by various names, levothyroxine, synthroid etc. Just don, t worry follow your doctors instructions.
Take t4. Synthroid- batch to batch more stable; and your own thyroid puts out T4 and all peripheral tissues convert it to t3- same happens when take T4 pill.