Why is my skin reacting (dry patches, itchy rash) to my insulin pump sites?

Dr. Alan Feldman
Internal Medicine - Endocrinology

In brief: Adhesive reaction?

I would wonder if you are becoming sensitive to the adhesive used at the site.
It is unlikely to be a reaction to the insulin. Also, make sure there is no latex in your supplies. You might try putting some Hydrocortisone cream on your skin in the area before attaching the insertion needle.

In brief: Adhesive reaction?

Dr. Alan Feldman
Dr. Alan Feldman
Dr. John Chiu
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology

In brief: Contact allergy

You may have developed a contact allergy to the material used in the pump which comes into contact with the skin.
The rash usually starts about 24 hrs after the contact and peaks at around 72 hrs. If this is the case, using a barrier cover or coating on the pump may prevent it . In the meanwhile try some topical Hydrocortisone cream.

In brief: Contact allergy

Dr. John Chiu
Dr. John Chiu