Are cold sores different from genital herpes? Also, is there any medication that can supress it? I only use acyclovir cream when I have an outbreak.

Herpes. There are two herpes viruses. We now call them type one and type two. Cold sores, as you call them, are usually oral and herpes type one. That is at least 90% of the time to be true. But, herpes two, which is usually seen as 'genital' herpes, can be caught on the mouth as well and can also cause 'cold sores'. The best test is the blood test. There are three oral medications to treat and suppress.
This is sort of a. Confusing issue. Herpes simplex 1 virus causes most of the cases of oral herpes. However, sometime herpes simplex 2 virus can be spread to oral area. Melissa officinalis or lemon balm (cream) expedites healing of cold sores. It can reduce healing time by half. Studies also show that regular use can help v recurrences. Brief supplementation with lysine 1, 000mg orally three times a day at the onset.