Could a curved spine be responsible for back ache?

Sometimes. Curvatures can cause backache. Many other things, can, too, which may/may not be directly related to the curvature. Your best bet may be to start with a dr. Who is NOT a surgeon. Osteopathic drs. Tend to use non-invasive diagnostics & treatments like manipulation to balance/strengthen muscles, take pressure off nerves, prolotherapy to strengthen weak ligaments, etc. Which may be the real cause of pain.
Yes. Strongly suggest you see a back surgeon. Some are orthopedists who specialize in the back. Some are neurosurgeons and sometimes they work in pairs together.