Wake up when I hear my toddler crying during sleep, should I go to him?

Dr. Cindy Juster
In brief: It depends.
If your child isn't waking up during these episodes, he may be having night terrors.
If so, the best things to do are to ensure there is nothing in his bed he can get hurt on, and keep him on a consistent sleep schedule. If he has a habit of waking and then crying, as long as he has no medical cause for this, it's best to see if he can put himself back to sleep. His doctor can advise.

In brief: It depends.
Dr. Cindy Juster
Dr. Cindy Juster
Dr. Alfredo Garcia
In brief: Nighttime crying
The first impulse is to rush to the toddler's room and pick him up to soothe him. The reason to respond is to make sure that he is safe.
If still asleep, leave him alone and just monitor these episodes. If he is awake and does not seem to acknowledge your presence, he maybe having a nightmare or night terror. Wait until the episode stops - he might just go back to sleep right after.

In brief: Nighttime crying
Dr. Alfredo Garcia
Dr. Alfredo Garcia
Dr. Cindy Juster