Why do I have blood in my urine? I had a renal ultrasound done, & bladder everything is ok. What can cause blood in urine?

Dr. Atul Singh
Internal Medicine - Nephrology & Dialysis

In brief: Hemautria

Blood can come from anywhere from the glomerulus to the urethra.
1st step is to repeat your urine when not on your period clean catch and if still has blood then you need to see a kidney doc for work up. This can be a frustrating experience for all. Blood work history physical and often biopsy may be needed. You need to see a kidney doc and discuss options.

In brief: Hemautria

Dr. Atul Singh
Dr. Atul Singh

In brief: See answer

Microscopic hematuria: very common in general population affecting ~2-5% overall with higher incidence in older adults.
Usually clinically insignificant. Visible blood: more likely to have identifiable and/or significant cause. Many causes: too numerous to list. Testing (blood, imaging, and cystoscopy) done to rule out significant causes: uti, renal disease, stones, bladder and kidney cancer.

In brief: See answer

Dr. Gregory Lewis
Dr. Gregory Lewis
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine