Why does fluoxetine cause diarrhoea ?

Dr. Donald Jacobson

In brief: Luvox (fluvoxamine) effects

Serotonin, which like all of the nerve transmitters in the brain, lines the entire G.
I. Track. During fetal development the bottom of the neural crest which becomes the brain heads south and remains connected to the brain both through nerves as well as through nerve transmitters that line the G.I. Track. When people take a medication like luvox, (fluvoxamine) which is an ssri, the excess serotonin stimulation within the G.I. Tract can trigger a diarrhea response. It does this by affecting and binding to serotoninreceptors in the G.I. Tract which can cause subsequent diarrhea. The gut is being increasingly referred to as the third brain and the whole effect of the gut and the bacteria that we have in our intestines is a huge area of research into human well-being and illness at the present time.

In brief: Luvox (fluvoxamine) effects

Dr. Donald Jacobson
Dr. Donald Jacobson
Dr. Steven Seres