How different is psy.D. Vs ph.D in clinical psychology?

Dr. Christopher Michael
Clinical Psychology
In brief: Focus
The psy.D. Focuses more on practice based upon psychological knowledge.
When they emerge from school, usually they have moderately more field experience than a pH.D. The pH.D. Focuses more on research, but in clinical and counseling psychology must also amass hands-on experiences. Over time, the two tend to even out, with pH.D.'s perhaps doing more academic work on average.

In brief: Focus
Dr. Christopher Michael
Dr. Christopher Michael
2 comments
Dr. Sam Von Reiche
I would add that Psy.D. training itself entails less pressure, because there isn't the same intense drive for your professors to "publish or perish"
Dr. Francine Leof
Though the pressure to "publish or perish" does not exist, the training is quite rigorous in many different ways. And in the program that I attended, the expectations and standards of my dissertation were just as rigorous as for the Ph.D. program, something that many think is not the case.
Dr. Cheryl Wilczak
Clinical Psychology
In brief: Psy.D. vs. Ph.D.
At the end of the day, psy.
D.'s and pH.D.'s have to pass the same licensing exam. In general terms, a pH.D. Is more research oriented and pH.D. Is more treatment oriented. Both programs require a dissertation and doctoral internship.

In brief: Psy.D. vs. Ph.D.
At the end of the day, psy.
Dr. Cheryl Wilczak
Dr. Cheryl Wilczak
Dr. Barbara Lavi
Clinical Psychology
In brief: In PsyD Programs
Every year participants participate in internships so that they have more clinical hands on experience in the field before graduation.
The focus of the doctoral thesis must also be related to the practice of psychology in the field as opposed to research that may not have practical applications in the real life professional work as a psychologist.

In brief: In PsyD Programs
Dr. Barbara Lavi
Dr. Barbara Lavi
Dr. Richard Levenson
Clinical Psychology
In brief: PsyD vs PhD
The psyd is a practice-oriented model, while the phd is a more research-based one.
Over time, the differences tend to disappear and prospective patients should focus on training and experience prior to selecting one of these doctors.

In brief: PsyD vs PhD
Dr. Richard Levenson
Dr. Richard Levenson
Dr. Andrew Berry
Clinical Psychology
In brief: Research vs Clinical
A PhD is typically a research degree that emphasizes experimentation, time in the library, and publications with lesser of an emphasis on clinical work.
A PsyD on the other hand, is a clinical degree that emphasizes work with patients instead of research quite so much.

In brief: Research vs Clinical
Dr. Andrew Berry
Dr. Andrew Berry
Dr. Jerry Smith
A fair and accurate differential.
Dr. Thomas Delaney
Psychiatry - Geriatric
In brief: The difference
Is the phd involves a research project and a dissertation which one "defends" as it is said to validate the research hypothesis.
They both have the same core coursework. Psyd has a doctoral thesis required to complete that degree.

In brief: The difference
Dr. Thomas Delaney
Dr. Thomas Delaney
Dr. Jerry Smith
I have a Psy.D. and while my clinical research project (CRP) was not called a dissertation, I had to complete a research project and defend it before my committee.
Dr. William Forsythe