Hi doctor!i hv been masturbating since i ws 16 and i m not able to stop my addiction.I hv attempted a lot to avoid dis but hv always resulted in failre?

Dr. Donald Jacobson

In brief: Masturbation is not

An addiction.
It is completely normal. I am however aware that there are some religions that view it as sinful, unclean, or undesirable. If you have conflicted feelings about it and you are not an adherent of one of those religions, then i would recommend you see a sex therapist to talk about it. If it is forbidden by your religion, then i recommend that you seek council with one of your religious advisers. Perhaps they have some ideas that could help. Best wishes.

In brief: Masturbation is not

An addiction.
Dr. Donald Jacobson
Dr. Donald Jacobson
3 comments
Dr. Charles Witten
Masturbation can become an addiction when it interferes with your activities of daily life, such as work, school, social interactions and the like. There are support groups and 12-step recovery groups for such individuals.
Dr. Donald Jacobson
I am aware of course of sex addicts support groups. I have never heard of 12 step groups for masturbation addicts. I think in our era the masturbation addicts might be on SSRI's and just trying to get off once after four or five hours. I wonder if the ortho docs are seeing an influx of carpal tunnel from SSRI's or the dentists an influx of TMJ in their SSRI taking partners.:)
Dr. Jane Van Dis