I was in a car accident and lost feelings to my legs, am I at more danger for sepsis?

Dr. William Walsh
Addiction Medicine

As you are at risk for wounds and infections in your lower extremities, you are at higher risk for sepsis than someone without that problem, but if you take your positioning and avoiding wounds seriously, you can reduce your risk from the many with your condition that do not.

Dr. William Walsh
Dr. William Walsh
Dr. Sanjay Agarwal
Internal Medicine - Pulmonology

In brief: Maybe

Presuming the car accident and damage to the spine happened some point in time, loss of sensations and inability to move makes you prone for infections of the skin and soft tissue of the legs as well as urine or lower GI tract if bladder and bowel control is affected as well.
Infections, if not addressed promptly or effectively, may lead to systemic response like sirs or sepsis. 'care' is the key!

In brief: Maybe

Dr. Sanjay Agarwal
Dr. Sanjay Agarwal
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine