My son has itchy throat. Temp of 99.9. Overall tired and wants wants to sleep. He is 16. Should he be seen or ok to wait? Sound like like the flu?

In brief: This could be a

Viral infection. Influenza usually makes people feel very ill.
For sore throat – gargle with warm salt water (1/2 tsp salt in 8 oz of water). * for congestion – saline nose drops or a neti pot. *for anti-inflammatory effect ; mobilizing mucus- homemade chicken noodle soup.**for hydration- lots of water. Try clear broth. * add honey ; a small amt. Of lemon juice to chamomile tea. It's ok to wait.

In brief: This could be a

2 comments
Dr. Martin Raff
At this age it is possible that this is EBV infectious mononucleosis or another cause of a mononucleosis-like syndrome. It would not hurt to have him seen and examined to make sure that his spleen is not enlarged to the extent that it becomes dangerous. Good luck.
Thanks Dr. Raff.

In brief: Get to the Dr.

Better safe than sorry.
I would suggest getting to a dr. Asap to make sure if there is some treatment he might need and waiting might have delayed getting the proper help.

In brief: Get to the Dr.

Better safe than sorry.
Dr. Jeffrey Bassman
Dr. Jeffrey Bassman
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine