Went to ER yesterday I have pyelonephritis. Pain is worse today. What can I do ? The narco they gave isn't helping. How long for antibiotics work?

In brief: See answer

It may take a minimum of 24-48 hours and as long 72-96 hours before significant improvement is noticed depending on severity of infection and other factors.
Staying well hydrated, rested, and taking an otc anti-inflammatory medication (ibuprofen 600-800 mg tid) which you listed in addition to your pain med is best. Some people require hospitalization for IV fluids, pain, and infection control.

In brief: See answer

Dr. Gregory Lewis
Dr. Gregory Lewis
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine