I have central apnea. It isn't just when I am asleap. Why?

Dr. Thomas Stern
Internal Medicine - Pulmonary Critical Care

In brief: Central apnea

Central apnea is from dysfunction of the systems that control your respiratory drive.
It is seen in patients with cardiovascular disease like heart failure and strokes. It can also occur at high altitude. It is a completely different mechanism from obstructive sleep apnea and does not have to cccur during sleep.

In brief: Central apnea

Dr. Thomas Stern
Dr. Thomas Stern
Dr. Louis Gallia
Surgery - Oral & Maxillofacial

In brief: A few thoughts

Some have daytime breathing problems.
May not be daytime "apnea," more likely hypopnea (shallow breathing). Usually unrelated to what's called "sleep apnea." It's much less common. The treatment is usually different from the standard treatment for "sleep apnea." Daytime breathing problems would need to be evaluated by a different kind of doctor, not the ones experienced in treating sleep apnea.

In brief: A few thoughts

Some have daytime breathing problems.
Dr. Louis Gallia
Dr. Louis Gallia