Why have i got severe ear pain in my left ear & swollen glands in my neck on the same side? I smoke a pipe and drink in excess. I am a 53yr old man.

Dr. Devon Webster
Internal Medicine - Oncology

In brief: Possibly cancer

I don't want to worry you, and i'm a cancer doctor, so i always think about cancer. But this is something you must have checked, and the sooner the better! tobacco users are at risk for head and neck cancers, which can cause ear pain and swollen lymph nodes on the same side.
It's also possible you have a viral infection. With cancer, the lymph nodes are often painless and hard. Get seen soon!

In brief: Possibly cancer

Dr. Devon Webster
Dr. Devon Webster
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine