I have always had really clear skin, but for the last few weeks my face has broken out! But the pimples/bumps are large and painful with no whitehead?

Get seen now. This may not even be real acne, but some other sort of papular eruption. A dermatology appointment is in order. If you are taking any new medication, stop now.
Just from the small. Amt. You have already shared - would encourage you to work with a dermatologist. In meantime: wash face w gentle cleanser 2x/day ; use oil free products. No oily hair or heavy foundations. Exfoliate occasionally. Try not to pop pimples. Avoid touching face (cradling chin in hands). Remove makeup before bed. Shower after strenuous exercise. Consider otc products (salicylic acid or benzoyl peroxide).