I am 40 years old. Recently, I have started having my periods every 18 days. I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia 5 months ago and my doctor prescribed antidepressant. Will antidepressant help me? Do I need to take some other medication as well?

Dr. Susan Uhrich
In brief: It seems that
Increasing serotonin can be part of the treatment of fibromyalgia.
The term antidepressant has much less meaning than it used to. What is important is which neurotransmitters does the medication work on. Different antidepressants work on serotonin, norepinephrine and/or Dopamine as well as others. These are the classifications that are important, as these neurotransmitters do very different thi.

In brief: It seems that
Dr. Susan Uhrich
Dr. Susan Uhrich
Dr. Joan Kinlan
In brief: See your GYN,
It is possible that you are in early menopause or that you have a gyn abnormality.
It would be very unlikely that the antidepressant is the cause.

In brief: See your GYN,
Dr. Joan Kinlan
Dr. Joan Kinlan
Dr. Howard Paul
Clinical Psychology
In brief: Meds are for the FM
The probability is that your doctor gave you the antidepressant for the fibromyalgia (fm).
There are few meds that directly target fm and antidepressants have been found to have some positive effect. Don't be fooled by the name antidepressant, such meds have varied use far beyond what their name implies. Some, such as Cymbalta (duloxetine) do have pain relieving qualities and some do give extra energy.

In brief: Meds are for the FM
Dr. Howard Paul
Dr. Howard Paul
Dr. Laurence Badgley
General Practice
In brief: Not all
Depression is not only positively impacted, but in some cases is worsened by ssri's.
Certain herbal extracts & natural molecules have proven positive impact on the mind. Cannabinoids, opiates, valerian extract, mate tea, coca, coffee, & ceremonial tobacco use affects sense of well being. A relaxed mind has been shown to align with happiness and longevity.

In brief: Not all
Dr. Laurence Badgley
Dr. Laurence Badgley
2 comments
Dr. Laurence Badgley
FM sufferers often have fatigue, likely from chronic non-restorative sleep. I have seen many improve & deepen sleep & increase restorative quatity of sleep using softer mattress, lying on side with least hip pain, using body pillow vs. knees & using soporific effects of medicinal cannabis, especially eaten as the more time-release form of baked confections; only in states where authorized.
Dr. Vikram Patel