What is it called when ankles buckle outward? What can I do to prevent this? Happens to both ankles and nearly causes fall.

Dr. Robert Purchase
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Ankle instability

It sounds that you have loose ankles.
The vast majority of loose ankles will respond to a physical therapy program which focuses on increasing the muscle strength, balance re-training, and something called proprioception re-training. Proprioception is body awareness. It allows you to take corrective action to avoid a bad ankle sprain.

In brief: Ankle instability

It sounds that you have loose ankles.
Dr. Robert Purchase
Dr. Robert Purchase
Dr. Chris Hayes

In brief: Weak ankles

Ankle weakness is more common in previously injured joints.
If an ankle is sprained and doesn't get properly rehabbed afterward, it will remain weaker than it was before injury. I would advise consulting a physical therapist for a rehab program if you have a history of recurrent ankle sprains. Also see your doc, since ankle weakness can occur with some neurologic conditions.

In brief: Weak ankles

Dr. Chris Hayes
Dr. Chris Hayes
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine