Does wine increase or decrease breast cancer risk?

In brief: Increases
Alcohol consumption increases breast cancer risk , studies show consumption of 3 to 4 alcohol drinks a wk showed 15 % increase of breast cancer risk, if you don't drink don't start.

In brief: Increases
Dr. Addagada Rao
Dr. Addagada Rao
Pathology
In brief: Probably not
The whole field of epidemiology, based on people's recollections of their "bad habits" when faced (or not faced) with a deadly illness, and with the likelihood of confounding variables, generates huge amounts of often-contradictory claims about risks and benefits that are mostly moonshine.
I'd urge you to ignore all the links that aren't obviously true (i.e., cigs and lung cancer).

In brief: Probably not
2 comments
And have you ever wondered why people make frequently hooplas over wine, but never over grapes or beer? There's very little science here. Forgive a senior pathologist's skepticism.
Dr. Thomas Knecht
Dr. F is right on, as usual.
Dr. Pam Yoder
Obstetrics & Gynecology - Maternal Fetal Medicine
In brief: Male or female?
Great question. If you are asking about it in males, i will refer to some surgeons who are experts in cancer and male breast disorders.
I also referred it to additional experts in case you were referring to adults in general. We will also try to provide some data references. Thanks for asking!

In brief: Male or female?
Dr. Pam Yoder
Dr. Pam Yoder
4 comments
Dr. Pam Yoder
OK. I will share with more of our experts on hT. Thanks for asking on her behalf, and please invite your friend to join our site :)
Dr. Addagada Rao
Dr Yoder is right we forget about men 1% breast cancers are in men &diagnosed late ( may be one drink a day will benefit CV system ! )
Dr. Vasu Brown
Wound care
In brief: Red wine protective
Cedars-sinai researchers - braunstein and his team provided 8 ounces of red wine daily to 36 women and 8 ounces of white to another 36.
After one month, the scientists reversed the servings. Blood was collected twice during the women's menstrual cycle to measure hormone levels. When women were drinking red wine, the study reports, hormone levels were at much more favorable levels.

In brief: Red wine protective
Dr. Vasu Brown
Dr. Vasu Brown
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham