I'm 19. I've been sexually active for a month and a half now but the past 2 times i've bleed during intercourse or shortly after. Why and is it normal?

In brief: Abnormal

But not that uncommon.
With hymen tear, new dilation of vagina, a small surface tear or abrasion can occur and bleed. A brief abstinence and it should heal. Local cleaning , douche may be useful.

In brief: Abnormal

But not that uncommon.
Dr. Creighton Wright
Dr. Creighton Wright

In brief: Blood=tissue injury

You may be new to the process but the mechanics of intercourse can tear tissue.
Tearing of hymenal tissue is the classical injury of first intercourse, but the edges would heal over time.Repeat bleeding suggests more tearing or injury at another site. If this continues in spite of routine hygienic cleansing, you need to have it checked.

In brief: Blood=tissue injury

Dr. Jane Van Dis