I missed some of my birth control oils and had a very light unusual period I took 2 pregnancy tests and both showed negative. Can I still be pregnant?

Yes, pregnancy tests commonly cause false negatives in the first few weeks of pregnancy.
Sensitivity of these tests varies. You should closely follow package instructions about accuracy of the tests in relation to days since your last menstrual period.

Dr. Kathleen Berchelmann
Dr. Kathleen Berchelmann
Dr. Joel Pranikoff

Missing several birth control pills, especially early in the pack, does decrease the effectiveness of the pills.
The urine pregnancy tests may not be positive until you have been pregnant for a while (could be up to 2 weeks). While the light bleeding is most likely due to missing the pills (withdrawl bleeding), you could be pregnant. When in doubt see your gyn and have a blood pregnancy test done.

Dr. Joel Pranikoff
Dr. Joel Pranikoff
Dr. Jonathan Jassey