If Lexapro (escitalopram) 10 is not working for severe depression/anxiety after 3 weeks is it best to increase dose to 20mg or change the antidepressant?

Stop alcohol! Lexapro (escitalopram) may require at least 4-6 weeks for effectiveness -- and if you're still drinking 8-14 alcoholic drinks a week, you need to stop. You may not want to hear this, though. However. Alcohol can be a depressant in itself, and also reduce the effectiveness of lexapro (escitalopram). The combination of the two is not in your best interest if you want to recover. Please discuss with your psychiatrist.
This is an issue. That you will need to work through with your prescribing medical provider. Medications in this class often require 4 to 6 weeks to reach an effective blood level. You haven't had a long enough trial to say that the medication wasn't effective. By the way - alcohol use is contraindicated with Lexapro (escitalopram) and other ssri's. Take care.