I get a very sharp pain in my lower leg when I stretch. I believe its called "charlie horse" this happens too often. How can I help this?

Dr. Colin Kerr
In brief: Charlie Horse
A charlie horse is actually bleeding (a small blood clot) in your muscle due to excessive, forceful stretching in which a muscle gets pulled and tears a small blood vessel.
The most common pain you get when you stretch is just from the stretching itself. As you try to move contracted muscle fibers further apart, they hurt for a while. That is the whole point of stretching to loosen them up.

In brief: Charlie Horse
Dr. Colin Kerr
Dr. Colin Kerr
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine