I have a big coldsore on my lip and someone told me it was due to herpes simplex. What exactly is herpes simplex and how can you get it?

Common virus. Herpes simplex is a common virus that can be transmitted from on area to another by contact. A large percentage of the population has the virus with outbreaks from time to time, and if present can also be transmitted to the genitals. Good hand washing is essential to avoid transmission.
HSV1. Cold sores are from Herpes simplex virus type 1. Genital herpes is comes from Herpes simplex type 2. You get it from skin to skin contact, most likely from kissing. Most people have been exposed to HSV1 by adult hood.