Can you tell me about extraction orthodontics and chin change?

Dr. Gregory Johnson
Dentistry - Orthodontics

In brief: Extraction ortho

Teeth extractions may have the effect of augmenting (improving) the amount of chin contribution to the overall facial profile.
However this should only be considered after an orthodontic specialist has thoroughly examined a full diagnostic workup of your condition. Tooth extractions in the wrong situation may produce and adverser result.

In brief: Extraction ortho

Dr. Gregory Johnson
Dr. Gregory Johnson
Dr. Robert Stoner
And treating non-extraction when it is appropriate can destroy facial balance as well
Dr. Arnold Malerman
Dentistry - Orthodontics

In brief: Question too broad

Tooth extraction is done in about 30% of orthodontic patients when the amount of tooth material exceeds the amount of bone to support the teeth.
Orthodontic specialists are adept at balancing tooth position, jaw position, and facial drape to create a harmonious balance. Ask an orthodontist to examine your problem set and explain treatment choices that will work best for you.

In brief: Question too broad

Dr. Arnold Malerman
Dr. Arnold Malerman
Dr. Robert Stoner
My extraction rate has gone from 20% 30 years ago to over 50% today. Long term stability, facial balance and periodontal health have tempered my decision. I use to think non-extraction was conservative, now I consider it the other way around.
Dr. Robert Stoner
Dentistry - Orthodontics

In brief: Depends on case

The position of the front teeth and the steepness of the lower jaw determines the lip position.
In order to achieve ideal facial balance, long term stability and optimal periodontal health the lower front teeth should be positioned upright. If flared or over uprighted the chin will be made worse. Once the correct position is determined it is a simple decision if it should be extraction or not.

In brief: Depends on case

Dr. Robert Stoner
Dr. Robert Stoner
Dr. Stuart Hoffman
Dentistry - Orthodontics

In brief: ?

Extraction of teeth can actually help the chin appearance.
If teeth stick out too far, when the lips are forced to close, sometimes the chin appears wrinked (mentalis muscle strain). If teeth are extracted to retract the position of the anterior teeth and the lips close passively, sometimes that mentalis muscle strain will go away.

In brief: ?

Dr. Stuart Hoffman
Dr. Stuart Hoffman
Dr. Vicken Poochikian