Is atherosclerosis the main cause of cardiovascular disease.?

Dr. Mark Rasak
Internal Medicine - Cardiology

In fact chd accounts for more than 1/3 of all deaths in pts greater than 35 years of age.

Dr. Mark Rasak
Dr. Mark Rasak
Dr. Francis Uricchio
Internal Medicine - Cardiology

In brief: Yes and no

Atherosclerosis is a disease of the western world where we eat poorly and do not exercise enough.
In developing countries, infectious disease illnesses are much more prominent. I remember discussing this with dr. Augustin castellanos of venezuela. He indicated that coronary artery disease was unusual in venezuela and chaga's disease is much more of a problem.

In brief: Yes and no

Dr. Francis Uricchio
Dr. Francis Uricchio
Dr. Umesh Patel
Board Certified, Preventive Medicine