Hi. I have an autism spectrum disorder. Please suggestwho should I could talk to regarding this.

Dr. Cornelia Franz

In brief: DAN doctor

Ask your physician.
Look for a dan (defeat autism now) physician. Look at handle program. Consult with a chinese medicine practitioner for help in treating it as well. In my area I have a fabulous psychiatry practice who is wonderful in diagnosing and helping patients. Look for one in your area...And ask your doc first for a referral. Good luck.

In brief: DAN doctor

Ask your physician.
Dr. Cornelia Franz
Dr. Cornelia Franz
4 comments
Dr. Jon Ahrendsen
DAN Doctors are good, but that term is being phased out due to trademark issues with the Divers Alert Network. The new group to search for is MAPS Medical Academy of Pediatric Special needs
Dr. Cornelia Franz
Thank you.
Dr. Johanna Fricke
Pediatrics - Developmental & Behavioral

In brief: For yourself?

First, seek a primary care physician who is comfortable in this area by calling card, as suggested or the florida state medical association.
If you need assessments for services or funding, call the state vocational rehabilitation agency & ssi. If all else fails, look on sdbp.Org to find a developmental/behavioral pediatrician in your are & ask to whom (s)he refers adult patients.

In brief: For yourself?

Dr. Johanna Fricke
Dr. Johanna Fricke
Dr. Glen Elliott
Pediatrics - Psychiatry

In brief: Various approaches

There is no proven cure for autism, but a variety of interventoins can help improve function.
Broadly, they break down into behavioral, educational, and physiological. There is no compelling evidence that any currently available physical intervention (vitamin supplements, chelation therapy, hyperbaric oxygen treatments and on and on) "fix" autism. Beware or excessive promises.

In brief: Various approaches

Dr. Glen Elliott
Dr. Glen Elliott
2 comments
Dr. Jon Ahrendsen
If you have met one person/child with autism you have met one person/child with autism. Different things work for different patients, just like any disease or treatment. With all due respect to my colleague, I have seen vitamins and HBOT make a considerable improvment in the symptoms and behavior of autism. Does it cure them, very rarely. Are they improved? Often they are.
Dr. Glen Elliott
I appreciate Dr. Ahrendsen's comments. I did not say such treatments are never of benefit, but I have yet to see a child with well-diagnosed autism "cured" with available physicological interventions. I refer families to DAN doctors or others with similar expertise if they wish to try such interventions but urge them to use the same criteria to assess benefit they would with other treatments.
Dr. Ernest Bordini
Clinical Psychology

In brief: Seek a specialist

In florida there are several state centers for autism resource disorders (card) which provide expertise, education and resources for professionals and patients with autism spectrum disorder.
Consultation with pediatric psychiarty, pediatric neuropsychology and/or developmental pediatricians would also be recommended. These are often complex children with needs for multimodal interventions. Good.

In brief: Seek a specialist

Dr. Ernest Bordini
Dr. Ernest Bordini
Dr. Cindy Juster